What's New in CanIt 2.0
New Features Since the Last Release
- The main menu bar has been changed for greater consistancy with other Windows
- CanIt icons have been given a make-over: in particular the application and archive icons
have been changed.
- A vocabulary change has been made: the word 'restore' has been superceded by the word
'extract' (versions are now extracted rather than restored). This is in line with the new
Zip Tool, and it also more accurate in that to 'restore' implies to put back (to the
original location) whereas 'extract' implies taking out (no destination is implied). One
consequence is that the 'New Version' and 'Restore Version' shortcut keys (F12 and
Ctrl+F12) have been changed to 'Add New Version' (SHIFT+CTRL+A) and 'Extract Version'
- A new filter option named 'Different' has been added to the 'Find Files in Archive'
command to find those files whose date or size has changed.
- The 'Restore' properties page in the 'Archive Properties' dialog has been moved to the
'Options' dialog (and renamed to 'Extract'). This is because most users assume default
extract parameters to be installation rather than archive specific.
- Extract dialog options are now persistent and do not revert to default values everytime
an extract is performed (default extract options are loaded when CanIt is started).
- A 'Delete All Versions' command has been included in the 'Edit' menu. This is
functionally the same as compacting the archive and retaining no versions.
- The 'Versions' page of the 'Archive Properties' dialog displays the number of versions
and total number of files in the
- current archive.
- Folder Mapping is introduced with version 2. Folder Mapping allows folder definitions to
be mapped to alternative folders. This feature allows a single archive to function in an
alternative storage environment and is most useful when moving between laptop and desktop
- A 'Warn if folder map enabled' check box option has been added to the 'User Interface'
page of the Options dialog box. If this option is enabled then a warning is issued before
mapped archive files are saved or extracted. This option is enabled by default.
- The 'Tools|Rename Folders' menu command has been replaced by a 'Use mapped folder names'
checkbox option in the 'Save As' dialog box. This option saves the mapped folder names to
the actual folder definition names. The 'Use mapped folder names' Save As option is only
available in conjunction with the 'None' retained versions option.
- The 'Find Files in Archive' dialog options are now persistant and don't revert back to
defaults each time the command is executed.
- A new 'Different or missing' (from current version) archive search/compare option has
been added the 'Find Files in Archive' dialog. The new option lists archived files whose
age or file size is different to thecurrent version or the current version is missing or
- Sidelined version icons are now shown as dimmed rather than as a separate icon for
improved visual differentiation.
- The number of versions and total number of files stored in the archive are displayed in
the 'Versions' page of the 'Archive Properties' dialog box.
- An archive can be opended by drag and dropping the file from Windows Explorer onto a
running instance of CanIt. You can also start CanIt and open an archive by dropping an
archive file onto the CanIt executable or shortcut in Windows Explorer or on the Desktop.
- Zip Tool, an integrated Zip archiver utility for creating, editing and testing Zip
formatted archive files has been added (see the new 'Tools|Zip Tool' menu item).
- The two page New dialog has been simplified.
Problems Fixed Since the Last Release
- Sometimes file times in extracted files differed by around 1 second from the stored file
times resulting in the file incorrectly appearing to have been changed. This has been
- It has been observed under Windows 95 that files opened by double-clicking in Windows
Explorer were loaded using the short 8.3 file name. This is confusing. If the achive was
subsequently modified it's saved name was set to the short file name.
- Under Windows 98, CanIt releases 188.8.131.52 and earlier have a problem when using folder
selection dialogs (the work-around is to manually type in the folder name).